When I have my insects id’d I usually get told the status , or I look up information on that insect. But rare can mean several things.
- That it’s numbers have dropped and that it is a threatened species like the Great Yellow Bumble bee, the numbers can drop because of dwindling habitat due to intensive farming , climate change etc
- That the insect is new to the country and its numbers are still low, but these insects seem to be growing as climate change makes it possible for them to move further north.
- That the insect has a very specific habitat that is only found in one or two places which then makes it nationally rare
- Like honeybees / solitary bees a disease / parasite / farm chemicals can have drastic consequences on their numbers
- Under recording is another reason